Shamal's Logo

Shamal's Logo


November 2018: Shamal and her Crew (Mum and Dad) are currently in Grenada waiting for the Hurricane season to end. *ATTENTION PLEASE* If you are still interested in receiving the posts, could you please subscribe to the Blog following the two step process in the right hand column, so that new posts are emailed to your inbox. As of next year the reminder emails that are being sent out will cease. Thanks to all of you for following our Adventures.

15 July 2008

Wellingron to Picton

Hello One And All

Well we have made it to the South Island. We are now tied up to the marina in Picton. A little sail boat among the huge gin palaces and supper yachts! Boy there is some big money floating around here.

Our stay in Wellington was great. It is a lovely city and we did enjoy our time there even if at times we were hanging from our moorings lines in very strong winds – up to 45kts at times - but in saying that we did have three days of lovely sunshine and no winds. We took the train out to Waikanae and spent two nights there visiting with family. Simon and Kay thank you so much for putting up with us and we were so glad you were able to come back to Wellington and spend the night with us. We took SHAMAL out a couple of times for a bit of a sail around the Harbour. One was a test sail with a delightful couple who really enjoyed the boat. Our marina was located right in the centre of the city with a huge supermarket, coffee shops and other facilities within a short walk.

Now Murray and I have decided to become weather forecasters, as one gets paid big money and the information you give out can be pulled out of a hat!! The forecast for our crossing of Cook Strait yesterday was for clear skies, northerly winds at 10kts in the morning easing to 5kts in the afternoon, seas slight, swell 0.5m. What did we get but cloudy skies, northerly winds 17 – 32kts all day, seas rough and swell 1m plus!!! So when we entered Tory Channel on and incoming tide - which was great - and sailed into the smooth waters of the Marlborough Sounds, it was a lovely change from Cook Strait. We were able to sail for some of the way then motored sailed on down to Picton arriving at 4.30pm.

This morning we woke to thick fog which did not clear till late morning but the day turned out to be fine if not a little cool. Last night was freezing and I think tonight will be the same.

This morning Alec and I did our usual clean up after each trip and Alec did some maintenance and I did the household chores, then we set off into town to stock up at the supermarket.

At this stage we are thinking of leaving for Nelson on Thursday maybe taking a couple of days to get there so we can check out some of the beautiful bays around the Sounds. Also Alec would like to put out his new crayfish pot over night somewhere.

Thank you all for your emails. Always great to hear what is happening in your ‘neck of the woods’.

Take care

Lots of love

Ann and Alec and Murray

No comments:

Post a Comment